help! to input data...

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg4204] help! to input data...
  • From: tcdoe+ at (todd c. doehring)
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 23:11:23 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

well, silly me.
I thought i was pretty good at the basics of mathematica, but today i
tried to input some numerical data that was comma delimited. i.e.

it is a large data file (10Mb+) with 5 numbers per line. i can't
convert the commas to tabs easily.
 i tried simply using:

data=ReadList["c:\micro.dat", Number, RecordLists->True];

data=ReadList["c:\micro.dat", RecordLists->True,

data=ReadList["c:\micro.dat", Number, RecordLists->True,

but all i ever get is the first number and an error such as:

Read::readn: Syntax error reading a real number from c:\micro.dat.

would someone please tell me the best way to input this data file??
it's driving me crazy that i can't figure out something so basic.