Re: Installation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3989] Re: Installation
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 02:12:38 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <4meqpv$mit at dragonfly.wolfram.com>, David Annetts
<dannetts at laurel.ocs.mq.edu.au> wrote:

> An interesting thing happened to me yesterday ...
>
> I tried to reconfigure MMA 2.2.2 (DOS/387) to use VESA graphics.
> However, after the second screen of MINSTALL, the program (MINSTALL)
> exited because my machine had "less then 3M expanded memory".  This
> struck me as odd for a number of reasons ...
> 1.      The machine (Pentium 90) has 48Mb RAM;
> 2.      DOS MEM indicates this (48 Mb);
> 3.      Quarterdeck's MFT also indicates 48 Mb; and
> 4.      The program installed without a hitch when I only had 16 Mb
> installed.
>
> I also tried copying the contents of the installation disk to HDD,
> editing the script to remove the (in)sanity check, then installing from
> the HDD, but the program MINSTALL won't allow identical source and
> destination drives.
>
> Interestingly, the old installation of the program runs fine.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to what's happening?
>
> Regards,
>

> Dave.

The following answer is taken from the Technical Support FAQ
area of Wolfram Research's Web site. (The exact URL is:
http://www.wolfram.com/support/Systems/DOS/AccessExtendMemory.html)

The installation program detects the amount of memory you have
in megabytes mod 32. Thus, if you have 36 megabytes of memory,
the installer thinks you have 4. If you have 40 megabytes of
memory, the installer thinks you have 8, and so on.

To work around this problem, you will need to edit the file
INSTALL.DAT on Disk 1 of the installation set. Look for the
following lines:

/* sanity checks */

@If (@ExtTotal < 3M)
        @Display
 You do not have enough extended memory to run @Name.

        @Pause
        @Abort
        @EndDisplay
@Endif

Comment out this block of lines using the comment symbols
/* and */as shown below.

/* sanity checks */

/* at If (@ExtTotal < 3M)
        @Display
 You do not have enough extended memory to run @Name.

        @Pause
        @Abort
        @EndDisplay
@Endif*/

Now run the installer again, and Mathematica should be able
to address all of the extended memory available under DOS.

I hope this helps.

--Ian

Ian Collier
Wolfram Research, Inc.