Q: Eigen values in Mathematica 2.2

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4022] Q: Eigen values in Mathematica 2.2
  • From: wojtek at amedec.amg.gda.pl (Wojciech Piotrowski)
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 02:13:48 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Why Mathematica 2.2 can't find Eigen values for some matrices? When I use
the earlier version ( 2.1 ) there is no problem like that. For example:
   Amat={{1,2},{-2,-3}};
   Eigenvalues[Amat]
And version 2.2 displays message: can't find all roots of charactristic
polynomial, but v.2.1 answers: {-1,-1}
This no matters when I want to find only Eigen values, because I can find
it solving characteristic polynomial for instance, but Mathematica use
Eigenvalues function in JordanDecomposition which I often use.
					wojtek at amedec.amg.gda.pl

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====