Re: Q: Eigen values in Mathematica 2.2

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg4042] Re: Q: Eigen values in Mathematica 2.2
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 01:46:53 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <4noq7d$71h at>, wojtek at
(Wojciech Piotrowski) wrote:

> Why Mathematica 2.2 can't find Eigen values for some matrices? When I use
> the earlier version ( 2.1 ) there is no problem like that. For example:
>    Amat={{1,2},{-2,-3}};
>    Eigenvalues[Amat]
> And version 2.2 displays message: can't find all roots of charactristic
> polynomial, but v.2.1 answers: {-1,-1}
> This no matters when I want to find only Eigen values, because I can find
> it solving characteristic polynomial for instance, but Mathematica use
> Eigenvalues function in JordanDecomposition which I often use.
>                                         wojtek at

This appears to work correctly in the current Macintosh, Windows
and Unix versions of Mathematica that I have access to:

    Eigenvalues[ {{1,2},{-2,-3}} ]
    {-1, -1}
    Power Macintosh 2.2 (February 24, 1994)

Is it possible that you have changed the definition of the
Eigenvalues function?

My best suggestion would be to contact Wolfram Research Technical
Support (in your case support at directly including
full details of your copy of Mathematica and also the computer you
are running it on.

I hope this helps.

Ian Collier
Wolfram Research, Inc.
tel:(217) 398-0700   fax:(217) 398-0747    ianc at
Wolfram Research Home Page: