Re: Bottom line on remote kernel

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg3892] Re: Bottom line on remote kernel
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at>
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 23:22:59 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Kevin Kubarych wrote:

> up according to the instructions, and I can get the terminal to
> connect, but after it logs in (correctly) the prompt comes up, and it
> just sits there.
> I'm logging onto a SGI Indy which runs a shell that gives the
> following prompt:
> "corey 1% "

In the Remote Login: box, do you have

You need the ^% which waits for a % character (instead of the default >
character) before Mathematica will send off the correct (math -remote)
command to the SGI.  Also, you need to make sure that Mathematica is on
your (Unix) path.  You can test this out by running a telnet session to
the SGI and typing math at the % prompt.

I've got caught out with this one before ...

Paul Abbott
Department of Physics                       Phone: +61-9-380-2734
The University of Western Australia           Fax: +61-9-380-1014
Nedlands WA  6907                         paul at