Re: Tick marks and labels

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg3516] Re: Tick marks and labels
  • From: richard at (Richard Mercer)
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 1996 23:13:57 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Ron Elsner wrote:
> I am trying to make a plot with different scales on the
> left and right hand axes.  I can get the tick marks placed
> where I want them using FrameTicks, but the no labels
> appear for the tick marks on the right side.  Similarly,
> if I try to use different scales for the top and bottom,
> I get the normal labelling on the bottom, but no lables
> on the top.  Does anyone know what I can do?  Thanks.
> --Ron Elsner
> ES84
> elsner at
You can wait for the next version of calcE to come out.
check out Version 2.2 demos on Custom Ticks and Custom Axes*)
I have recently been working on this exact problem, but believe me it is not

I had to create the desired ticks as geometric objects, insert them in
Epilog, and then leave dummy "blank" ticks of the proper length in FrameTicks
to make sure that room was reserved for them. Even that is not the whole
story. The way MMA handles Ticks and Frameticks is ugly as sin, and nobody
would be happier than me to see it cleaned up. I could save about 40K of

In case you're listening, WRI:
Axes, Ticks, Frames and FrameTicks need to be handled as fundamental
geometric objects, just like Polygons or Disks or anything else. Give the
user complete control over the configuration and display of these objects.

Homework exercise: Try to display tick labels on the right side of a vertical
axis, or above a horizontal axis. I can do it, and so will the next version
of calcE. But I don't want to talk about it -- it's disgusting!

Richard Mercer
richard at
"I meant what I said and I said what I meant,
An elephant's faithful, one hundred per cent."