RE Looking for Gaussian Elimination Code

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg3862] RE [mg3783] Looking for Gaussian Elimination Code
  • From: MATHEWS at
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 02:13:45 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In [mg3783], Nicholas Fogelson, University of Oregon wrote:

Does anyone have Mathematica code that does a Gaussian Elimination on an
input matrix?  I realize that this is built into Mathematica but I really
need to be sure that the code is of complexity O(n^3) and I'm not sure
that the Mathematica implementation doesn't do some optimization that
I don't want.

    Look in the complementary software supplements for:
Numerical Methods for Mathematics, Science & Engineering, 2nd Ed
by  John H. Mathews  published by  Prentice Hall, 1992
ISBN# 0-13-624990-6  and  ISBN# 0-13-625047-5

    NUMERICAL METHODS: Mathematica Notebooks

These files are located at the Wolfram Research, Inc. ftp site

Algorithm 3.2 (Upper-Triangularization Followed by Back Sub.)
To construct the solution to  AX = B, by first reducing the augmented
matrix [A,B] to upper triangular form and then performing back
Section	3.4   Gaussian Elimination and Pivoting   Page  156

Best Regards,

John Mathews
Dept. of Mathematics
California State University Fullerton