Re: Help for Class Project

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg5272] Re: [mg5241] Help for Class Project
  • From: "Paul R. Wellin" <wellin>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 02:30:15 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

> Hi, I'm need to do a class project for a class (single-variable Calculus)
> and I need ideas.  I'm taking the mathematica version of the course, so
> the project should involve mathematica.  It can really be any math
> problem that I could turn into 2 or so pages on mathematica, even if it
> is not a calculus-specific problem.  I'm don't have a very comprehensive
> knowledge of math, so I'm not looking for something extrememely
> challenging.  This can be a "real-world" problem or something purely
> abstract.  If you have any ideas for a project, I would greatly
> appreciate them.  Please try to make sure any responses end up in my
> email (dbortz at will work) as I don't frequent this group.  Thanks
For a nice collection of projects at various levels, take a look
in the two books by Richard Crandall:

"Projects in Scientific Computation", R. Crandall. TELOS/Springer-Verlag

"Topics in Advanced Scientific Computation", R. Crandall.

Both are described in some detail on the TELOS web site at in their "catalog" under Scientific

Paul R. Wellin
Academic and Business Liaison
Wolfram Research, Inc.
100 Trade Center Drive