Re: mathematica 3.0 comments?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5168] Re: mathematica 3.0 comments?
  • From: "David B. Wagner" <dbwagner at princon.com>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 01:34:35 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Charles Bouldin wrote:

> Well, none of us have tried on the Mac yet, because the damn thing hasn't
> shipped. I'd like to know WHY it has shipped for windows and not for the
> Mac. Every time I call and ask about this, there is a different story,
> including (1) detection of serious bugs in the Mac version late in the
> beta cycle, (2) duplication delays, etc.
>
> Does anyone know the real story on this, including a ship date? I'm
> beginning to feel like WRI is the Microsoft of the symbolic computation
> business. If there is any further suggestion that the Mac is not being
> supported properly and if there are further delays, well, then it's time
> to look into Maple!

Well, I think this is a bit of an overreaction.  For years, WRI always shipped
the Mac version first, and the Windows version, when it finally did ship, was
usually missing features and/or buggy.  Windows has been the poor stepsister of
the Mac as far as Mathematica was concerned, and I don't think we ought to get all
up in arms just because this one time, it's taking a couple of extra weeks to get
the Mac version out.

By the way, I'm a Mac user and I detest Windows.  Just trying to be fair.