Mathematica 3.0 vs Matlab
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg5181] Mathematica 3.0 vs Matlab
- From: bhunter at cat.bbsr.edu (Bill Hunter)
- Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 01:35:54 -0500
- Organization: Southeastern Louisiana University
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
At the risk of starting a flame war, can anyone comment on whether Mathematica 3.0, with its number crunching improvements, is efficient enough to replace matrix-oriented tools such as Matlab for pure numerical tasks? Informal benchmarks would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I have yet to see 3.0 in action, so this question is driven by teaser descriptions on Wolfram's Web page and at least a bit of wishful thinking.