Re: How to plot a date file? Some questions, some solutions.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4868] Re: How to plot a date file? Some questions, some solutions.
  • From: "Richard L. Bowman" <rbowman at bridgewater.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 22:42:23 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Here is code I used to read in your data file.  It did not seem to want to
be read in as numbers, so I read it as a string (Word) and then wrote it
out in a format that I knew Mathematica could read.  It seems cumbersome,
but it works.  I, too, have had difficulty reading in data files generated
by other programs at times, so I hope this will help.

I copied your data file to a file called "temp-data", so replace the file
names as you wish.

_Mma Code_
stream = OpenRead["temp-data"]

data = ReadList[stream, Word,
    TokenWords->{"R ","DG","FQ",","},
    RecordLists->True, RecordSeparators->"\n"]

Close[stream]

fd = Table[{data[[i,2]],data[[i,5]],data[[i,8]]},
       {i,Length[data]}]

WriteString["temp-data-rev", TableForm[fd]]

stream = OpenRead["temp-data-rev"]

data = ReadList[stream, Number,
    RecordLists->True, RecordSeparators->{"\r","\n"}]

Close[stream]
Dr. Richard L. Bowman, Chair
Dept. of Physics                         e-mail:  rbowman at bridgewater.edu
Bridgewater College                                  phone:  540-828-5441
Bridgewater, VA  22812                                 FAX:  540-828-5479
  "http://www.bridgewater.edu/departments/physics/bowman/bowman.html";

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====