memory use

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4776] memory use
  • From: rustybel at foothill.net (Russell Towle)
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 13:54:56 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Using MMA 2.2 on a PowerMac with 32MB RAM allocated to the kernel, I am
assembling large arrays of integers which I pass to ListPlot3D.  For
example, a list of dimensions {490, 1091}.  Simply to assemble this list
uses so much memory that I cannot pass it to ListPlot3D in the same
session; so I thought that writing it to a file might be a good device.

I use the syntax, (biglist >> "filename"), but to my surprise, the kernel
requires tons of memory to execute this, even though the list "biglist" is
already evaluated, and every element in it already resides in memory.

By allocating 40 MB of memory to the kernel, I was able to write the list
to a file.  The file size itself was only 3MB.  Why does MMA need 16 or
20MB to write a 3MB file?

Russell Towle
Giant Gap Press
P.O. Box 141