Re: Books

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4785] Re: Books
  • From: rubin at msu.edu (Paul A. Rubin)
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 23:51:15 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <508nuo$dp2 at dragonfly.wolfram.com>,
   Naish at pi.net (Martijn Smit) wrote:
->Hi There,
->
->As I'm rather new to the world of Mathematica, I've decided to make a
->nifty jumpstart by buying the best book in town. Problem is though
->that there're some books around, and 1 of them is the best.
->Could anyone tell me the title of that particular book? I'm a student
->astrophysics at the state university Groningen, Holland and my
->intrests go out to, beside the basics, simulation and solving
->differential equations.
->regards,
->Martijn (Naish at pi.net)
->
Besides the Holy Tome (Wolfram's _Mathematica_, 2nd ed., which comes with
the software), I'm partial to Roman Maeder's _Programming in Mathematica_ as
an introduction to Mma programming techniques.  After that, I've learned
more about programming in Mma by following this news group and looking at
code chunks in the "Mathematica Journal" and various Mma-oriented books
(such as Hal Varian's two edited volumes from Telos) than I probably could
have found in any once source.  Maeder's book doesn't address differential
equations specifically, though.

-- Paul

* Paul A. Rubin                                  Phone: (517) 432-3509   *
* Department of Management                       Fax:   (517) 432-1111   *
* Eli Broad Graduate School of Management        Net:   RUBIN at MSU.EDU    *
* Michigan State University                                              *
* East Lansing, MI  48824-1122  (USA)                                    *
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen:  whenever you say something to them,
they translate it into their own language, and at once it is something
entirely different.                                    J. W. v. GOETHE

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====