Re: Books

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg4801] Re: Books
  • From: gaylord at (richard j. gaylord)
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 23:51:24 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <51c4rj$9no at>, "Seth J. Chandler"
<SChandler at> wrote:

> hasmith at wrote:
> >
> > In <508nuo$dp2 at>, Naish at (Martijn Smit) writes:
> > >Hi There,
> > >
> > >As I'm rather new to the world of Mathematica, I've decided to make a
> > >nifty jumpstart.

> > >my intrests go out to, beside the basics, simulation and solving
> > >differential equations.

> For simulations, and generally, I would recommend Gaylord & Wellin,
> Computer Simulations with Mathematica

i would suggest that for a beginner in the area of simulations, you look
at "MODELING NATURE: Cellular Automata Simulations with Mathematica"

the approach taken there requires MUCH less programming background than
my  first simulation book.

note: the second book is not simply an extension of the firstbook. the
first book is essentially a hodgepodge of interesting simualation
programs, each with its own approach. in contrast, the second book
presents as ingle unified approach to the type of simulation modeling
known as cellular simulations.

note: two biologists, took a one day course with me based on the CA book,
and were able to start developing CA programs, one on honeybees and the
other on ants immediately after taking the's a comment one of
them sent to the head of his reasearch group after

"I had a very productive morning (actually 9-1 pm) with Richard. We sat
down and got what I have in mind the simplest version actually working!  I
saw the graphics output and was impressed that it took so short a time to
see something actually working"

CA modeling with mathematica should allow you to get a jump start on doing

"if you're not programming functionally, then you're programming dysfunctionally"