Contours in a spherical projection

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4794] Contours in a spherical projection
  • From: fons at etl.go.jp (Paul Fons)
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 23:51:21 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

  I have x-ray data that I have written a mathematica procedure to plot in
a stereographic projection (this is handly for determining crystal defect
types etc.).  The problem is that I would really like to plot the data in
contour form --  The data after translation to reciprocal space (in effect
fourier transformed) is on a onlinear mesh 2) the shape of the final
surface is of course, circular (it is a projection after all).  I can see
how to avoid the need for triangulation for the nonlinear mesh by using
interpolation, but the circular nature of the plot is a problem.  Any
suggestions?

                                             Dr. Paul Fons
                                                Senior Researcher
                                                Electrotechnical Laboratory