Re: Help with Mathematica Filenames

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8345] Re: Help with Mathematica Filenames
  • From: Denis Foo Kune <dfookune at macalester.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 02:22:38 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

C M Chew wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the right folder to post to, but I
> would appreciate it if anyone out there can help me.
>
> I had Mathematica 3.0 installed in one of my PCs. But
> one day after I do some disk management stuff (defrag etc),
> on that PC, the software stopped working. After some
> investigation, I found out that the long file names in the
> Mathematica directory are no longer there. Instead files
> are named using DOS 8.3 style, e.g. Mathe~12.exe.
>
> I don't have the install CD with me, so I cannot reinstall.
> So can any kind soul send me a list of files in Mathematica
> 3.0 so I can rename the files back to their original name.
> Maybe do a 'dir /s > dir.txt' in the Mathematica directory
> and send the 'dir.txt' to me by e-mail. Thanks in advance!

   I think that I had read something about that in the FAQ on the Wolram
website.  Apparently, some disk management software, like Drive Space
and Scan Disk, can cause some problems due to the deeply nested
directories used by Mathematica 3.0.  This is because those disk
management stuff uses the 66 character limit that DOS imposes, to avoid
problems if the user switches between DOS modes. As a result,
Mathematica cannot find its directories anymore, ans their names and
span exceed this 66 character limit.  Solutions to it might be to do the
disk stuff before installing mathematica, or simply uninstall, and
reinstall the software.  If you have lost the CD, you could contact
Wolfram, with you registration number, and see if they can provide you
with another copy.  It will be simpler than renaming dozens of
directories.
You might want to check the page
http://www.wri.com/support/Systems/Windows/DriveSpaceAndScanDisk.html

Hope that helps.