Re: Elevations in 3D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7872] Re: [mg7844] Elevations in 3D
  • From: Russell Towle <rustybel at foothill.net>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 15:35:36 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>Is it possible to visualize in 3D in Mathematica Student Ver 2.2.4, the
>elevations of tracts of land?
>
>rolando

Hi Rolando,

I have a MMA version 2.2 notebook on MathSource (search under my name or
Digital Landscapes) which reads elevation data from USGS digital elevation
model files (DEMs) and passes the data to ListPlot3D.  It is time-intensive
and memory-intensive, because very many polygons are created to form the
land surface.

There is an excellent source for the high-resolution 7.5 minute DEM files
for here in California.  For elsewhere in the US one has to make do with
the free 1-degree DEMs which are monsters to work with (9 MB in size).
Internet addresses to obtain these files are included in my notebook.
There are DEM-like data sets for elsewhere in the world but my notebook
can't handle these.

Russell Towle
Giant Gap Press:  books on California history, digital topographic maps
P.O. Box 141
Dutch Flat, California 95714
Voice:  (916) 389-2872
e-mail:  rustybel at foothill.net