subscripts in function definitions

    Is it possible to use subscripted variables in a function definition?

     something like

                                       f[x sub 1_, x sub 2_] := x sub 1  /
x sub 2

where by     x sub 1     I mean the visually subscripted form obtained
either from the palette or the keyboard.  I just wonder if I'm doing
something stupid. Mma  just seems to want to multiply the blanks
by the subscripted variable within variable list which is not what I
want.

     Thanks

     Mike Golding