AutoLoad

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7494] AutoLoad
  • From: Sean Ross <SEAN at mail.creol.ucf.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 03:48:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thanks for the help with Map and Pure Functions.

Suppose I want mypackage.m to automatically load whenever I start the kernel or
front end.  Page 1016 of the mathematica book seems to imply that I just put the
package into the AddOns/AutoLoad folder and it will happen.  On my windows 95
pentium, it does not.  I have tried both putting mypackage.m into the folder and
making a mypackage folder with mypackage.m in it and putting that in the
AddOns/Autoload folder, but neither loads the package.

The paragraph in the mathematica book(page 1016) I don't understand is "by
placing the directory for an add-on in AddOns/AutoLoad/, you can have
Mathematica automatically load the add-on ....."

I don't know how to put a directory in a folder.  I can put files in a folder or other
folders in a folder, so I am sure the reason for my failure is that I don't understand
the directions.

Also, Mathematica 3.0 has so many init.m files that I don't know which one is
"THE" init.m that sets my $path and into which I can insert commands or manually
load packages.  2.2 was much simpler-only one init.m.  Can someone tell me
which init.m file is the one that the kernel reads prior to startup and in which I can
modify my $Path variable?