Re: Lost greek letter list! Where is it?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6476] Re: [mg6460] Lost greek letter list! Where is it?
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 13:23:08 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

robpeterson at sprintmail.com wrote:

> I've used the greed symbol list for a long time but now its gone.
> I've spent hours looking thru the book (which tells me practically
> nothing about the user interface) , the help files (ditto) and the
> options editor with no luck.  I did find something called toolbars but
> never found what it was.  Anyhow, could some kind person tell me how
> to get my Greek letters back?  Also, the book implies that you can use
> keystrokes to get greek letters but I never got it to work.  Is it
> really possible to type something to get greek letters?
> Thanks for any help.
>
> I'm using 3.0 in NT4.0.
>
> Rop Peterson

There actually is some interface information hidden in the help files.
It is in "Other Information/Menu commands".  Also, look under the
file(?) menu for palettes and chose the basicinput palette. It has the
greek alphabet included.
Also, you may want to check out the mathematica book on pages 906-929.
The "Keyboard shortcuts" you are looking for are called Aliases in the
mathematica book.  the strange symbol with the three vertical bars is
defined on page 902 as a standing for the esc key.  So, looking at the
table of greek letters on page 910,  esc a esc should get you the symbol
alpha, at least, it works that way on my machine.  I do sympathize with
you, it would have been a lot easier to understand if they had used the
standard symbol esc with a box around it and called it a keyboard
shortcut.