Byte-files only partially loaded

When I try to read a file containing Bytes, using:

stream=OpenRead[file]
While[ (a=Read[stream,Byte]) =!= EndOfFile,
	(etc.)
],

Mathematica sometimes reads only a small part of data. Somehow an
EndOfFile is generated in the middle of the data. This behaviour is
file-dependent: it reads the same file always in the same way, totally
or partially, and if partially always the same part. I have tried
comparing datafiles that are fully read and that are partially, but they
both just contain bytes that cannot be mistaken for an EndOfFile. The
equivalent command:

ReadList[file,Byte]

does exactly the same things wrong.
Somebody please help me!