Dashed GridLines appear impossible

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7395] Dashed GridLines appear impossible
  • From: Luci Ellis <elisha at dot.net.au>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 01:20:01 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have been experimenting with plotting options lately. At my work, we have
a particular house style of graph, which we create in DeltaGraph (and
something close to it in Excel). I would like to replicate this style for
the graphs I create in Mathematica, as this would save exporting large
datafiles and massaging them into a form that Excel or DeltaGraph would
accept.

Unfortunately, it appears that the graph option GridLines doesn't allow the
line styles Dashing or AbsoluteDashing to be used with it. GrayLevel, Hue,
Thickness are all okay, but not Dashing. Why is this?

Can I achieve dashed gridlines without coding them in raw graphic primitives?
I would like to write a function that applies all the departmental styles
in one hit, so that I can use it in a more general way, without having to
define exactly where the gridlines must be placed.

Any ideas, or explanation of why this functionality was omitted, gratefully
received.

Thanks in anticipation,

Luci

Luci Ellis:  elisha at dot.net.au