Re: Re: Strange characters when writing ( ) [ ] { } /

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9478] Re: [mg9434] Re: Strange characters when writing ( ) [ ] { } /
  • From: Allan Hayes <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 02:40:22 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Yanick Charland" <yanickc at megacom.net> [mg9434] Re: Strange characters
when writing ( ) [ ] { } /

> With the "Show Expression" command, if I have a cell with a
> function
  	f[x_]:=2x, it gives me:

	Cell [ BoxData [ RowBox [ { RowBox [ { "f", "[", "x_", "]" }
	] ,
	":=" , RowBox [ { "2" , "x" } ] } ] ] , "Input" ]

> but I would rather have

	Cell [ "f[x_]:=2x", "Input"]

> for the [ ] to show correctly on my screen. Is there a way to get
> that by default ?

Yanick:

I'm not sure what the problem is with [ and ], though I do see   other
differences.

You might try setting the menu item
	Cell>Default Input Format Type>InputForm:

Having done this

	f[x_]:=2x

has the cell expression

	Cell["f[x_]:=2x", "Input"]

But this change will apply to all new cells in all notebooks and   you
will need to use
	Cell>Convert To > StandardForm (or TraditionalForm) to get 2D
formatting.

Alternatively you might leave the Default Input Format Type as
StandardForm and manually convert input cells to InputForm - though
you will need to do this *before* you type, otherwise the result may
not be what you want:

For example, if I restore the Default Input Format Type to
StandardForm and type

f[x]:=2x

and then convert the cell to InputForm, then I get

f[x_] := 2*x

which has cell expression

Cell["f[x_] := 2*x", "Input"]

You might also try setting Word Wrapping>Don't Word Wrap   (equivalent
to adding the option PageWidth->Infinity to the cell   expression) to
get closer to Mathematica2.2 behaviour.

Allan Hayes
hay at haystack.demon.co.uk
http://www.haystack.demon.co.uk/training.html voice:+44 (0)116 2714198