Re: LaTeX Save?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9593] Re: [mg9533] LaTeX Save?
  • From: jpk at max.mpae.gwdg.de
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 23:24:04 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> Subject: [mg9593] [mg9533] LaTeX Save?
>
> I have asked Mathematica Tech Support if there was a TeXSave will ever
> output LaTex2e compliant tex (and if the associated notebook.sty would
> be  updated to a LaTeX document class) and was told that such a thing
> was not  in the works.  Frankly, the present output from TeXSave needs
> a lot of  editing before it will even typeset, and the output is pretty
> lousy.
>
> I am pretty peaved that an advertised feature of Mathematica is not
> functional, and apparently not supported.  TeX output is one arguement
> I used on my boss (who wanted another system).  Now I look pretty foolish.

Hi Daniel,

I am working on a LaTeX2e output. The first thing You need is to access
the Mathematica symbols and from TeX. This part is allmost finished.
You can get the virtual fonts for TeX and a LaTeX2e style file to
typeset allmost all Mathematica Characters, including the [[, ]]
delimiters of Mathematica, the \[DoubleContourIntegral] ... the
\[DoubleStruckA], the Gothic and Script letters.

One week ago I placed the virtual fontset on
mathsource.wolfram.com://incoming and on the german CTAN site. Both
administrators need som time to place the package properly on the
directory structur of CTAN and MathSource.

So, if You want, the virtual font set mail me (uuencoded zip or tar.gz
?).

The full Notebook -> LaTeX2e converter will need a bit more time.
Parsing notebook expressions, fit symbol names to the existing style
file ... converting FormBoxes[], StyleBoxes[] and the numerous options
into macros will need some weeks of programming. How ever do You have
some wishes ? Regarding macros/ symbol names.

My basic idea is to encapsulate the most of the Mathematica styles into
LaTeX macros and environments. So that the basic idea of LaTeX to
divide layout and contens of the document is preserved.

> My question:  Is there a way to edit the TeXSave code?  If I will be
> writting my own LaTeX option, I would prefer not to have to start from
> scratch.  Has anyone done this already?

No You can't change the TeXSave code and You must start from zero to write
Your own LaTeX2e save. You will still need my virtual fonts to typeset
the most of the symbols.

Hope that helps
  Jens