-Follow-Up

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9618] [mg9516]-Follow-Up
  • From: Adalbert Hanssen <hsse at amath01.amath.zeiss.de>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 21:39:58 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Mathgroup,

this is a follow-up-question to the Needs-discussion of [mg9516]:

I have to keep compatibility of with old Mathematica-installations and
packages developed for them. On a Mathematica3-system running under
Win-NT, we have long filenames, on the old systems "8.3"-filenames.
The old packages however used context names longer than 8 characters,
which did not hurt, because there was ContextToFilename, shortening
contextnames to the filename convention.

Now I want the context loading mechanism Needs - if it was unsucessful
context-names to Filenames  - then try truncating the contextname
according to the old convention and retry loading a package that way
before giving up. This way, I might gradually migrate my packages to
the new environment: using new capabilities in the new environment in
rewritten packages with long names - if available -  and using the old
ones also on the new system without changing their  filenames.

I know, this deals with overloading Needs with something new. But can I
refer to the "old" definition of Needs inside a redefinition in the
manner
   Unprotect[Needs];
   Needs[context_]:=
     Module[{.....}
           ,Needs[...] (* here I mean the "old" Needs,
                          which I am just overwriting *)
           ];
   Protect[Needs];
?
The other question is, where such a redefinition is placed best. There
are many init.m. Which one would be best for it?

Thanks in advance,

Dipl-Math. Adalbert Hanszen <hsse at amath01.amath.zeiss.de>