NIntegrate where terms of integrand have unknown constant coefficients

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8882] NIntegrate where terms of integrand have unknown constant coefficients
  • From: "Scott Morrison" <scott at morrison.fl.net.au>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 20:16:50 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

 I'm trying to do something along the lines of NIntegrate[c[1] f[1][x] +
c[2] f[2][x] + ..., {x, 0, a}], where c[n_] is unknown, but the f[n_] are
defined so that NIntegrate[f[n][x], {x, 0, a}] would work. I'd like to be
able to do the numerical integration, and keep the coefficients, so I'd get
as an answer c[1] NIntegrate[f[1][x], {x, 0, a}] + c[2] NIntegrate[f[2][x],
{x, 0, a}] + ... with all the NIntegrate's evaluated. The constant
coefficients are all of the same form c[n] (actually, each term will have
two coefficients c[n1] c[n2]).
Is there some way of doing this by changing the definition of NIntegrate so
it will automatically acheive this, or do I have to do something more
complicated? I'm not at all sure here, as I've never tried adding to the
definitions of complicated objects like NIntegrate.

Any help or suggestions would be very gratefully accepted!

Thanks, Scott Morrison
scott at morrison.fl.net.au