Integrating piecewise functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9104] Integrating piecewise functions
  • From: Al Arduengo <exal at texas.net>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 23:33:18 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello all,
	I have a somewhat newbie question. I am studying Information Theory and
Coding and am currently working on matched filters and their response.
Typically, we are given piecewise functions such as:

x[t]=Which[0<=t<T/2,1,T/2<=t<=T,-1] (0<=t<=T)

a matched filter would be:

h[t]=x[T-t]

The response is, of course, the convolution of x[t] and h[t] which is:

Integrate[x[t]h[t],{t,0,T}]

My question is, is there a way to symbolically evaluate this integral in
MMa 3.0? I have tried several approaches, but always end up with the
integral itself as the result. Anyone have experience with this? Help
would be appreciated.

					Al