Re: wierd Log[0] *0 result

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg9106] Re: [mg9022] wierd Log[0] *0 result
  • From: ags at (Dave Seaman)
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 23:33:20 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <61k19o$96u$1 at>,
 <seanross at> wrote:
>Patrick Tao wrote:

>> the natural log of 0 times 0 writen Log[0]*0
>> Should that not be 0 ?
>> mma is returning an Indeterminate result

>Infinity * 0 is one of the seven standard indeterminate forms along
>0/0, Infinity/Infinity, 1^Infinity,  Infinity-Infinity, Infinity^0,
>I recommend a good pre-calc text as a brush up on limits.

I think both of you need to examine the difference between

	0 Log[0]

	Limit[x Log[x],x->0]

which are two different Mathematica expressions, representing two
entirely different concepts, and therefore it is not surprising that
they give entirely different results.  The first evaluates to
"Indeterminate", while the second evaluates to 0.

On the other hand, consider the expressions

where it turns out that the first expression is perfectly well defined,
but the second does not exist.

Conclusion:  you can't deduce anything about the value of a non-limit
expression by looking at a corresponding limit expression, or

Dave Seaman			dseaman at
      ++++ stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal ++++
    ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++