Re: trig expansion

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg9323] Re: trig expansion
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 02:47:39 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> I find that really unpleasant to have to do!  I expect to be able to
> tell Mathematica that T = k/omega and that k is an integer and have
> *Mathematica* figure out what the Sin and Cos reduce to.
> It's all a question of expectation vs. reality of the language design,
> of course.  Is my expectation unreasonable?

Let me ask another (related) question.  If you enter

for k an integer what do you expect Mathematica to return?  My point is
that closed-form formulas exist as a consequence of n being an integer.
How far through the system do you expect this functionality to extend?

The University of Western Australia            Nedlands WA  6907
mailto:paul at  AUSTRALIA

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player