[Fwd: Subscripts??]

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg8966] [Fwd: [mg8910] Subscripts??]
  • From: Jason Harris <jasonh>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 01:59:35 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi Gadi Oron,

The easy answer to the question you ask below is to download the latest
version of Notation from

Basically the error message was meant to be analogous to the error message
one gets about the spelling of variable names. E.g. if one enters

you will get the message

    "Possible spelling error: new symbol name ytemp is similar to
existing symbol xtemp."

This is what I had originally modeled my error message on, however there
was too much confusion about this among users so I dropped it in later
versions. (Possibly I should have had a more detailed error message). Note
this change was included was included in Mathematica 3.0.1.