Re: Q - image processing / reading TIFF/JPEG files?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg8782] Re: Q - image processing / reading TIFF/JPEG files?
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 12:26:16 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

bestor at wrote:
> Does anyone have information about what packages are available for doing
> basic image processing using MMa? I have checked MathSource and there doesn't
> seem to be anything there.

There are some good Image Processing courses out there: have a look at

by Mariusz Jankowski.

> In a similar vein, what packages other than ReadTIFFpackage can read in
> graphics files into MMa (eg into a 2D list)? The problem with ReadTIFFpackage
> is that is requires FastBinaryFiles which I cannot get to compile on my
> NEXTSTEP box. Alternatively, has somebody out there got FastBinaryFiles to

One possibility is to simply paste the graphic into Mathematica and then
do a Convert To InputForm.  This will digitize the image into a

The University of Western Australia
Nedlands WA  6907                     mailto:paul at

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player