Re: Printing Problems with MMA 3.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8808] Re: Printing Problems with MMA 3.0
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 00:33:34 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Peter Breitfeld wrote:

> I use Mathematica 3.0 running under Linux.
> There are two things I don't understand:
>
> 1. -- I tried to modify the header-lines in the notebook, to do that I
> opened the window headers and footers and entered text  e.g.
> Cell [ TextDate[ "foofoo" ]]
>
> But nothing changes. It'a always the same header - the notebook's
> filename on one site and the pagenumber on the other.
>
> How do I get my own customized headers and footers?

Check out the following URL's:

http://www.wolfram.com/support/FrontEnds/Printing/HeadFoot.html
http://www.wolfram.com/support/FrontEnds/Printing/DefaultHeadFoot.html

> 2. -- I get the message:
>
> Unable to find any AFM file for font. (Family->Math1, Weight->Plain,
> Slant->Plain). Using internal Courier AFM.
>
> How can I tell MMA to use the other kinds of Math1:
> Math1.afm, Math1-bold.afm and Math1Mono-bold.afm
> instead?
> Why does MMA try to use a font, which was not shipped with MMA?

First of all, the AFM files are not fonts in the normal sense.
They are _font metrics_.  The front end uses them as it attempts
to generate PostScript for printing the Mathematica notebook.

I've seen this behavior on the X front end.  The AFM files are
located in $TopDirectory<>"/SystemFiles/Fonts/AFM", but for some
reason, the front end doesn't find them (I've never run an strace
to see what's going on here).  The PostScript that the front end
generates will still have requests for the Mathematica fonts,
but formatting will be performed using the Courier font metrics.
I don't think I've seen any visible adverse effects from this
type of substitution.

If you use fonts outside the canonical Times/Courier/Helvetica/
font realm, you may want to get copies of their font metric
files (which I believe are freely distributed) and install them
on your system.  A rather large collection of these files can
be found at URL:

ftp://mathsource.com/pub/outgoing/Support/AFMExtra.tar

It's over 11 MB's, so you probably want a fast connection to
download this archive.

An abridged version of the AFM files can be found at URL:

ftp://mathsource.com/pub/outgoing/Support/AFMextra/st13afm.tar.Z

The directories where Mathematica tries to locate font metrics
can be found in your Mathematica 3.0 System Administrator's Guide.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.                  http://www.wolfram.com/~paulh/