Re: Exporting Graphics

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg11834] Re: Exporting Graphics
  • From: go.gators@~pobox.com (Justin M. Steadham)
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 00:35:41 -0500

Joel Bock <jbock@inetworld.net> wrote:

>Dear MathGroup:
>
>Without question, Mathematica is the greatest thing since sliced bread
>for doing modeling, data analysis and visualization.
>
>For all of its capability, I'm finding that something as fundamental as
>exporting graphics for use in other applications (e.g., Word documents)
>is really a pain. Is there any way to get true WYSIWYG plots saved to
>disk that can subsequently be imported into a non-Mathematica document
>without loss of resolution, bizarre resizings, mysterious font
>substitutions, etc.?
>
>The closest I came to reproducing the exquisite appearance of notebook
>plots was to do "File: Print Selection"...unfortunately, there is the
>embedded header with the notebook name attached to the plot. I can deal
>with white-out on the header, and photocopying the printed output, but
>it seems like there must be a better way.
>
>How do others in the MathGroup deal with this problem? Any and all
>suggestions are most welcome. Thanks!

Hi Joel,
  I too have suffered Mathematica and graphics.  You would think this stuff
would be ironed out by now but I think Mathematica wants all users to
eat-sleep-breath... using notebooks.  Notebooks are cool but they
don't really cut it for publication stuff.  (enough griping).  Here's
how I do my plotting.

// here p9 is a plot , 400 is the resolution.
Display["p9.gif",p9,"GIF",ImageSize->{548,468},ImageResolution->400]

the resulting gif is about 43kB.  I'm running a P233 with 60MB and
machine hurt.  There is a way to have word use place holders and/or
just show the filename but I can't remember how to do it. Nevertheless,
the resolution darn good.

PLEASE WOLFRAM, HELP US WITH THIS ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Justin
REMOVE ANTI-SPAM ~ IN MY EMAIL ADDRESS TO REPLY DIRECTLY