More on new cells, keyboard shortcuts and macros

I have recently posted a question regarding how to start a new cell
immediately below the current cell. One correspondent has correctly
pointed  out that it is best to use the menu option Input / Start New
Cell Below. He  also pointed out that a keyboard shortcut for this
operation is Alt-Enter.  However, this (Alt-Enter) doesn't seem to work
for me. Has anyone else had  this problem, and if so how have you
resolved it ? (I am using Mathematica 3.0 in  Windows 95).

This leads me on to a more general question. Is it possible to customize
your environment so that you can assign keyboard shortcuts to different
functions, palette buttons etc. ? Also, is it possible to create macros
for  common sequences of keystrokes ?