Mathematica 3.0.1 / Win95 woes

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12142] Mathematica 3.0.1 / Win95 woes
  • From: "L. Dwynn Lafleur" <lafleur@usl.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 01:46:24 -0400

I seem to have much difficulty making Mathematica 3.0.1 behave correctly
with the Windows 95 front end.  There are several of little annoyances,
like the cursor disappearing on (random?) occasions.  Some standard
Win95 keystrokes don't work, such as Shift-DownArrow, which should
select (highlight) text down to the next line.  Interestingly,
Mathematica has incorporated SOME of the Windows standard Shift-XXX
selection mechanisms, e.g., Shift-End successfully selects to the end
of the current line.

But the big problem is importing graphics for use as illustrations in
Mathematica notebooks, e.g., in text cells.  Under the topic
"Import/Export Features (Windows)", the Mathematica 3.0.1 help files
state the following :

"Graphics which are formatted as bitmaps, metafiles, or Encapsulated
PostScript can be opened by Mathematica via the Open item in the File
menu. You may also have a graphic inserted at a particular location by
copying and pasting the graphic from another application."

I haven't performed a documented series of controlled experiments yet,
but attempts to import BMP, WMF, and EPS graphic files have almost
always failed.  I don't think I have ever been able to import an EPS
file, and have only occasional and partial success with the other two
formats.  The usual problem is that the graphic image does not appear
in the notebook or, if it does, it prints out incorrectly, with the
left portion of the printed figure chopped off regardless of the
location of the graphic in the notebook cell.

(1)  Does anyone know if WRI intends to make the Win95 front end of
Mathematica more like a standard Win95 interface re keystrokes, etc.,
in the future?

(2)  Regarding graphics importing, is it just me???  I would like to
know if other Win95/Mathematica users have had similar problems,
especially if you have solved them.

TIA.

Dwynn

   L. Dwynn Lafleur
   Professor of Physics
   The University of Southwestern Louisiana
   Lafayette, Louisiana  (USA)
   lafleur@usl.edu