What is the fastest machine for Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13590] What is the fastest machine for Mathematica?
  • From: Christian Keysers <ck6 at st-andrews.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 03:53:51 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

We are currently running mathematica on a Silicon Graphics Ingigo 2
machine with a 200Mhz processor and 256Mb Ram. The calculations involve
fitting of gaussians to data set, and take two long at present (2h30min
for each data set requiring 16 * 8 fits). Does anybody know what
machines may bring the best speed for that kind of computations? The
benchmark sites available in the net only contain data for relatively
slow machines (Dec Alphas, Mac, Pentiums). We were thinking of getting
an Origin 2000, but even these machines only get really fast with
multiple processors (not supported by mathematica). So if anybody has a
really fast machine, let me know!

Christian Keysers

School of Psychology
Univ. of St Andrews