  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg13683] AbstractAlgebra
  • From: Kenneth_Levasseur at (Kenneth Levasseur)
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 04:39:15 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

We are pleased to announce the release of version 1.0 of a suite of
packages called AbstractAlgebra.  These packages enable one to work
with groups, rings, fields and morphisms between these structures.
Although designed for pedagogical purposes, the packages may be useful
for other purposes as well. These packages can now be freely downloaded

In addition, we would like to announce a forthcoming book, also entitled
Exploring Abstract Algebra with Mathematica, that uses these packages
as the foundation for a series of 28 laboratory notebooks intended to
be used in conjunction with any abstract algebra text. This will be
available for spring semester, being published by Springer-Verlag, with
a CD containing all the packages, labs, and a variety of palettes.
Estimated publication date:  January 1999

We are building a list of users. If you wish to be added to  this
mailing list, just let us know.

We encourage you to visit our home page at  Feel free to contact us with any
follow-up questions or comments.

Al Hibbard
Central College
mailto:hibbarda at