Re: Label Display in 2-D Plots?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13756] Re: Label Display in 2-D Plots?
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 05:07:08 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 14 Aug 1998, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

> I'm having a fit, so to speak. I would have liked Mathematica to produce
> my "publication quality" plots so I could save them out as EPS and
> import them into my desktop publishing program.
>
> I do not want the axes labels to be positioned at the ends of the axes.
> There seem to be no options here. I have tried frame labels as well.
> The frame label which appears below the horizontal axis is
> satisfactory, but I want the vertical axis label to be written
> vertically, as is common in published work. I seem to be not able to do
> this with frame labels. In addition, I find the frame label along the
> vertical axis to be too close to the numbers, but I can't nudge it out.
> Finally, I tried making text objects but I cannot seem to be able to
> superimpose them onto graphics already created.
>
> All in all, quite unsatisfactory. I have been looking in the Mathematica
> book and past issues of Mathematica Journal. Nowhere do I see this
> capability. I'm a little incredulous that such an expensi^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
> sophisticated program can't do this.
>
> Please tell me I'm wrong! How can I do what I want?

The core of your problem resides in the fact that PostScript interpreter
in the notebook front end relies on your operating system to provide
rotated font glyphs.  Windows 95/98/NT should be able to rotate the
text properly, but both Macintosh and Unix/X Window are not able to do
so.

The problem here is not in the abbreviated PostScript code itself, it is
in the rendering process done by the front end.  If you print the
notebook on a PostScript printer, you should see that the text is
rotated properly.   If you export the graphic as an encapsulated
PostScript file and rasterize it with Ghostscript (freely available on
all platforms mentioned herein), you should see properly rotated test.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram