simplifying complex polynomials
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg13699] simplifying complex polynomials
- From: dhs6 at po.cwru.edu (Daniel H. Steinberg)
- Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 04:39:28 -0400
- Organization: Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland OH (USA)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
A friend of mine is trying to simplify polynomials which are sums of
monomials each of which is the product of terms which are y_ and z_
where the  is a vector like [1,1,2,1,5].
Her simplification rules are fairly straightforward -- but how do you
get Mathematica to do it.
Rule 1: Each monomial must be quadratic in z (i.e. if it's not, replace
it by 0)
Rule 2: Each monomial's vector subscripts must sum (over all z's and
y's) to the vector [1,2,2,2,1] (for example). If it doesn't the term
can be eliminated.
Any thoughts? She's trying to process it as a list but this seems to be
further complicated by multiplicities.
Prev by Date:
Re: Request for help: working with multi-level lists
Next by Date:
Re: linking c++ and mathematica
Previous by thread:
Re: Question for using complex variables
Next by thread:
Re: simplifying complex polynomials