Re: Request for help: working with multi-level lists

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13673] Re: [mg13665] Request for help: working with multi-level lists
  • From: "Carl K.Woll" <carlw at fermi.phys.washington.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 04:39:06 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

The way that I would do this is to use Cases, as in:

realList = Cases[ li, {1, r_, _}->r ]

to get a list of the numbers, where li is your list, and then to get the
mean use

mean = (Plus@@realList)/Length[realList]

You could turn the above into a function, as in

Mean[li_List] := (Plus@@li)/Length[li]

Kmean[li_, i_Integer] := Mean[ Cases[li, {i, r_, _}->r] ]

Carl Woll
Dept of Physics
U of Washington