Request for help: working with multi-level lists

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13665] Request for help: working with multi-level lists
  • From: kcconnolly at aol.com (KCConnolly)
  • Date: 11 Aug 1998 02:24:02 GMT
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have a list of 10 elements, each of which is a list of three elements
(let's say in each case an integer, a real number, and a string). I am
looking for the most elegant way to select those first-level elements
(i.e., the lists) whose integer element is equal to a particular value
(let's say "1"), and then to obtain the mean of the real number
elements of the lists selected.  This seems as if it should be simple,
but everything I try leads to Part specification errors.  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.