Re: unwrapping ArcTan

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13744] Re: unwrapping ArcTan
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 01:38:32 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Linda Rogers wrote:

> Is there code for "unwrapping" the ArcTan, so that one has a smooth
> function of phase that increases, adding 2 Pi every time a cycle is
> completed?
> Thanks,
> Linda Rogers

You might want to check the archives for May, 1998 for this news group

http://www.wolfram.com/cgi-bin/mathgroup/1998/May

Look for responses to message #12213, which was in essence the same as
yours but in terms of Arg rather than ArcTan. The one I liked best I
include below.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research