Re: Fourier Transform

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg13727] Re: Fourier Transform
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 01:38:19 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Edward Neuman wrote:
> Let f(x) = 1/x. If f is regarded as the generalized function, then its
> Fourier transform is:
>                                   -Pi*I*Sign[t] (see, e.g., G.B.
> Folland, "Fourier Analysis and Its Applications," p. 337).
> Using Mathematica 3.0 we get:
> In[1]:=
> << "Calculus`FourierTransform`"
> In[2]:=
> FourierTransform[1/x, x, t]
> Out[2]=
> 2*I*Pi*(-(1/2) + UnitStep[t, ZeroValue -> 1/2]).
> This agrees with the above result only if t = 0. Bug?

No, feature. To handle al the definitions of the FT in the literature,
the version 3.0 package has two parameters, FourierFrequencyConstant
and FourierOverallConstant.

"FourierFrequencyConstant is an option for FourierTransform and related
functions that specifies the constant multiplying I w t in the
definition of FourierTransform.  The default value of
FourierFrequencyConstant is $FourierFrequencyConstant."

The University of Western Australia            Nedlands WA  6907
mailto:paul at  AUSTRALIA

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player