Re: Dimensions and Variables

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg13728] Re: Dimensions and Variables
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 01:38:20 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Naum Phleger wrote:

> 1)Why does Dimensions comand return 2 for x*Cos[y]?  I need to check
> dimensions of quantities and this makes it dificult to do.

The Dimensions function in Mathematica yields the structure of
expressions, e.g., for a matrix,

In[1]:= Dimensions[{{a, b}, {c, d}}] Out[1]= {2, 2}

You may find that the Miscellaneous`Units` package (which comes with
Mathematica) is relevant to what you are after.
> 3)Does Mathematica Know anything about map projections.  I have a vector
> feild of the sky and I want to plot it in a certin projection.  All I
> have been able to do so far is plot vectors on square euclidian space.

Have a look at Miscellaneous`WorldPlot` (and also Graphics`ComplexMap`).

The University of Western Australia            Nedlands WA  6907
mailto:paul at  AUSTRALIA

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player