Doing a table of contents ; also : footnotes ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13763] Doing a table of contents ; also : footnotes ?
  • From: "Culioli JC" <culioli at cas.ensmp.fr>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 05:07:13 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello experts,

In order to build a table of contents for a (note)book using Make Index
(Find Menu)
I would like, if it is possible, to _systematically_ add to Heading
Cells a Tag that contains the corresponding title.

an example :

Cell["My Title", "Section"]

would become

Cell["My Title", "Section",CellTags -> {"My Title"}]

For this I need to
- select all cells with a given style (Section, Subsection, etc.) which
is doable with the SelectAll.nb palette given by wri at
http://www.wri.com/support/FrontEnds/Interface/SelectAll.html - do
automatic replacements like

Cell[Atitle_,Astyle_]:> Cell[Atitle,Astyle, CellTags -> {Atitle}]

I currently do this either with a programmable editor or using un
function based on
CellPrint from within Mathematica.
Both approaches seem too complicated to me.  Am I missing a good way of
manipulating cells ?
Any better idea on this problem ?

[ I also wish to do it using numbered Headings, which amounts to include
TextData[{CounterBox["astyle"]...etc but does not complicate the
problem]

Another question : can one do footnotes ? A footnote to a cell would
appear in the FrontEnd