Re: Question for using complex variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13772] Re: Question for using complex variables
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 05:07:22 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Chongdae Park wrote:

> Here, x, y, w, and z are all real values. Then I expected
>
> Complex[x,y]*Complex[w,z]=(xw-yz)+I(xz+yw)

First, note that

  In[1]:= ?Complex
  "Complex is the head used for complex numbers."

so, to work with complex variables in explicit form, you should not use
Complex but instead enter them directly as x+I y, etc.

Second, ComplexExpand is the operator you want for simplifying complex
expressions (assuming that the variables x,y,w,z are real):

  In[2]:= ComplexExpand[(x + I y) (w + I z)]
  Out[2]= w x - y z + I (w y + x z)

Cheers,
	Paul

The University of Western Australia            Nedlands WA  6907
mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au  AUSTRALIA
http://www.physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player