mathlm question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13789] mathlm question
  • From: gwesp at cosy.sbg.ac.at (Gerhard Wesp)
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:18:15 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

  hi all,

  what are the necessary and sufficient conditions on X,Y,R,S for user X
on  machine Y to be able to obtain a license from a license manager
running under user R on machine S, assuming a default installation
(i.e. no -restrict argument present) and enough licenses available? i
didn't find any documentation on this, neither in the book nor in the
unix installation booklet, and i'm too lazy to find out by trial and
error.

  moreover, i'm having problems connecting to the license manager from a
sgi running irix 5.3: math -lmverbose just yields Mathematica 3.0 for
Silicon Graphics Copyright 1988-97 Wolfram Research, Inc. Talk to
server '<our license server>' on port 16286 ...Cannot get "tcp"
protocol entry. Talk to server '<our license server>' on port 16286
...Cannot get "tcp" protocol entry. Talk to server '<our license
server>' on port 16286 ...Cannot get "tcp" protocol entry. Talk to
server '<our license server>' on port 16286 ...Cannot get "tcp"
protocol entry.

No valid single-machine password entry for Mathematica found. [etc...]

no network traffic between the server and client is produced (checked by
tcpdump).  (the license server is on a ultrasparc running SunOS 5.6).

best regards and thanks,
-gerhard wesp
--
(home) |  http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~gwesp
| Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. |   -- Batman costume
warning label, Wal-Mart, 1995.