Monte Carlo Integration

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13808] Monte Carlo Integration
  • From: Hannah Valentine <h_valentine at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:18:29 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I'm trying to compute the expected value of an expression. In other
words,
I have an expression E[f(x, sigma)] where sigma is a normal random
variable. This is of course, the evaluation of an integral. What I'd
like
to do is this : Evaluate the integral (expectation) by using monte carlo
methods.
My questions to all you mathematica gurus out there are as follows :

(1) Is Mathematica a good way to do this kind of stuff ? I'm totally new
to Mathematica.

(2) I saw a command called NIntegrate in the documentation. Would I  use
NIntegrate to do something like this ?

(3) Is there any archive of examples, where I can learn to prepare the
code for such evaluation ?

Please, please, please, your answers will be very much appreciated !

Thanks in advance,

Hannah Valentine
h_valentine at yahoo.com