Re: Importing CSV (comma separated values) files?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13847] Re: Importing CSV (comma separated values) files?
  • From: gwinn at ma.ultranet.com (Joe Gwinn)
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:41:22 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thanks.  This is how I solved the immediate problem at the time of my
original post, but I want to eliminate the manual steps, because I do a
fair bit of such importing.  A programmer's text editor is best for
such things.  On the Macintosh, in my opinion, the best such text
editor is BBEdit, which allows UNIX "grep" functions to be used.

Joe

In article <6s5ok6$df4$2 at dragonfly.wolfram.com>, "Sherman.Reed"
<sherman.reed at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Joe,
> I have done the following, very successfully, for  about ten years:
>
> 1. save the file in csv format:
> 2. read the file with a text editor and delete all the commas
>         (in unix I use vi, in dos I use edit, or ?) 3. then I read the file
> into Mathematica.
>
> Sherman C. Reed
> sherman.reed at worldnet.att.net

> > From: Joe Gwinn <gwinn at ma.ultranet.com>
> > To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> > Subject: [mg13847] [mg13765] Importing CSV (comma separated values) files?
> > Date: Monday, August 24, 1998 4:07 AM
> >
> > I have been trying to convince Mathematica 3.0.1 to ReadList an ordinary
> > CSV spreadsheet file, without luck.  It finds the file OK, then
> > complains of an unspecified "syntax error" while reading a number.  No
> > useful information is presented; all one knows is that it failed.
[snip]