RE: Reading Native Excel files

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg15021] RE: [mg14976] Reading Native Excel files
  • From: "Jean-Marie THOMAS" <jmthomas at>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 01:30:23 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Native Excel files are OS dependant, so they should be as many notebooks
as different OS.
Another problem is Excel version (version 4, version 5, Office95,
Office97, meaning a new version should be expected soon...). The
solution is more in writing a kind of macro in Excel to save files in
.txt or .csv formats, but these formats cannot handle different sheets.
Another trouble comes from the decimal point: "." or "," depending on
the localized OS you use.

Jean-Marie THOMAS
mailto:jmthomas at
Conseil et Audit en Ingenierie de Calcul Strasbourg, France